John W. Duntley had in mind the idea of sourcing and selling construction tools "that weren’t yet available." In 1894, he established the Chicago Pneumatic Tool Company, with an office in Chicago . The first plant to begin manufacturing product specifically for CP was the Boyer Machine Shop in St. Louis , Missouri. In 1901, Duntley met steel magnate Charles M. Schwab , who invested heavily in the company. On December 28, the company was incorporated and the first single-valve pneumatic hammer was patented.
1904 was the year of expansion for CP. Offices were opened in England, Canada, and Germany; and new lines of products had been developed such as air tools and rock drills. In 1912, CP began to produce horizontal 2-cycle semi-diesel oil engine to power CP compressors. One year later, CP finalized the Simplate valve; it deleted valve gear, offered controllability with high speeds and brought more capacity.
In 1925, CP manufactured the Benz diesel engine that was used in various racing cars in Europe at that time. The same year, CP began manufacturing rotary oil-well drilling equipment. In 1939, CP designed and manufactured the world’s first impact wrench (pneumatic and electric versions).
CP developed the “hot dimpling machine” in response to war effort demands, a device heating rivets to 1000°F and using 100,000 pounds/inch² of pressure to squeeze the rivet head into its final shape.
Evolution of Chicago Pneumatic Logo since 1904